Sunday, March 18, 2007

March 2007 - What I've read so far

Well I figured it might be easier for everyone if I broke it down by month! I've really been on a reading mission!

So far so good, I can't remember everything I've read lately, but I do have a list here somewhere so I'll update it later. Here's the list so far:

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George - I love her books. This one inspired me to write. Everyone hates Cleopatra because of her great history as being a seductress to keep control of Egypt. Margaret had a great way of writing to explain why she could have done what she did. You feel compassion for her and feel like you know her better than your best friend. I love a book where you can fell, see and smell what is going on in a book!

Marley and Me by John Grogan - I wrote about this book already, but it is a really good book.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown - I wrote about this book already. I do think that I will probably try to read it again. I think that I was disappointed because I thought it was too mainstream. I love books that you don't quite know where you are going. This one was way too straight-forward. But it was still good, don't get me wrong!

Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving - you should always travel back to your youth once and awhile. I loved children's stories and this is a great one. I promise someday I'll be sharing this with my kids!

The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life by Steve Leveen - This focused a lot on getting reading in your life by any means possible. He focused a lot on listening to audiobooks since everyone spends a lot of time in the car. Now I always have a couple audiobooks ready to go for the commute.

The Innocent Man by John Grisham - I read this book for Book Club and I really didn't like it. There was too much repitition and guts. This is not a book I would normally read cause it makes me think about a lot of dark things. If you like murder/thriller books it might be up your alley, but I will warn you that it does have a lot of information in it. Not a quick read at all!

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemminway - just finished on audiobook. It was good, very disappointed in the ending. Always looking for that happy ending or rather something that happens. It seemed like he just ran out of things to say. Still was good and I didn't turn it off and start listening to something else so it kept my attention. I just wish I could be a writer that could live in Paris and travel all over Europe when the notion took me!

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - This book really bothered me. I thought it was good until suddenly I just got disturbed by the murderer. He just really bugged me. The scene where he's in his chair and playing with the bones just rubbed me the wrong way and I had to put the book down. I did end up going back to it and finishing it, but I think it was more out of having to for Book Club rather than because I wanted to!

The Odyssey by Homer - I loved this book! I love adventures so this was so up my alley!

A Grief Observed by CS Lewis - not a lot to say about this book, but it was good

On Writing by Stephen King - this was awesome! I might not read much of his fiction, but he has a great way of talking about the craft! Anyone who can talk about his drug habits and drop the f-bomb and make you laugh about it has a place on my book shelf!

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that's what I have for right now! Hope this helps everyone! Have fun reading!

No comments: